A Conservative knows:
- the US Constitution means exactly what it says. The Constitution isn't "living and breathing" and it is a charter of "negative liberties", meaning that Constitution does not limit what the individual can do, it limits what government may do to the individual and states.
- freedom without individual liberty is impossible.
- All Americans have the rights laid out by the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights. Nothing less is needed. Nothing more is needed. Government didn't grant us these rights, our Creator endowed them upon us. A Conservative also knows that since our rights come from our Creator, they can't be taken away by man.
- The United States is a sovereign country that has the right to act as it sees fit on the world stage. A Conservative doesn't believe that the United States has the responsibility to be the world's policeman, but it reserves the right to defend itself from foreign enemies in any way it chooses. A Conservative believes that the United States may ally itself with any other nation and must live up to its treaties. A Conservative also believes that foreign nationals should have no say in American foreign policy.
- the US economy must be free of the shackles of excessive government for two main reasons. The first reason is govenrment can only harm the national economy and the second reason is excessive government leads to crony capitalism, which is the anathema of the free market the Founders envisioned.
- human life begins at conception. There is no Constitutional right to murder the unborn.
- The Founders did not intend for the First Amendment to limit religion. The First Amendment was written to protect religion from the intrigues of government.
- the United States was founded as a Judeo-Christian nation with Judeo-Christian values. It wasn't founded as a secular nation by any stretch of the imagination.
- illegal aliens are criminals and should be treated as such.
- that all attempts to legitimize the homosexual lifestyle are poorly designed social experiments at best and fascist powergrabs at worst.
- the redistribution of wealth is wrong on many fronts. The government should have no say in who has what in legally gained property or wealth.
- the Second Amendment is in place not only to protect one's self from criminals, but also to protect the individual from tyranny, from either invasion or the govenment.
- the government should be slashed back to its Constitutional limits. Too much of the bloated federal bureaucracy is unaffected by elections and is blatantly unconstitutional.
The above is not an ideology. It's not like the Marxism Chairman Obama espouses.There's nothing radical about it. It isn't "fringe" lunacy. This is common sense. The grand majority of Americans believe this, even if they can't articulate it or are afraid to articulate it. The above is also non-negotiable. I won't vote for someone to be dog catcher, let alone President of the United States if that individual disgarees with any of the above. In other words, folks like Myth Romney, Slick Rick Perry, and Jon Huntsman (whoever he is) have irrevocably lost my support and will not, under any circumstances, gain it in the Republican Primary. If Krispy Kreme Christie (H/T Mark Levin) waddles into the fray, he won't get my support either.
Then, there's MoRon Paul.
Not only will I not support Dr. Detestable, I will actively campaign against him. Among all of the Republican candidates, he violates the most of the above stated principles. RuPaul (again, H/T Mark Levin) has stated that 9/11 was America's fault. He disagreed with the elimination of Osama Bin Laden. He has voted for the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".He has made it clear that he despises Israel (on Islamo-Nazi Iran's state run television, no less). He has shown support for the abortion pill, RU-486. One of Ron Paul's mentors, Murray Rothbard, was an anarchist. Paul's svengali, Lew Rockwell, is also an anarchist. Thomas Woods, Paul's pet professor, advocates reinstituting the Articles of Confederation. The Reverend Wright of the Republican Party has considered placing psychotic leftist Dennis Kucinich is his Cabinet. To top it all off, the Bizzare One was the 2009 Earmark King, out earmarking liberal giants like Nazi Pelosi, Pete Starke Naked, and Bawney Fwank. Ron Paul is to Conservative like kitten is to 3-4 run-stopping nosetackle. I'd rather go swimming in a pool full of sharks while wearing a hamburger Speedo than support him in the upcoming primary.
I won't and never will tell you who to vote for in this column. You're an intelligent person and you need no help from me. I will, however, tell you how to vote.